The stresses of reality


As I walked through the forgotten halls of yesterday, I shook the walls with every step I took. Dank odours spread across the hallway absorbing everything in its path. The air was crisp and cool with a draft that would swoop the corridors looking for more victims to freeze. I trembled past old paintings, their pallid faces watching my every move. 

Like the wind I blew myself into the next room and entered a realm of lost truths. I ran my fingers across the spine of each book. The shelves stood tall and close together, forming mazes that stretch for miles in this never-ending cave of tranquillity. Walking between them is like a dream that is always there. Once my eyes had adjusted to the darkness, I scanned the room as fast as I could, trying to take it all in, but it was impossible. The deafly silence didn’t scare me, it is only a reminder of who isn’t here.

 Energetically, I sprinted through corridor after corridor until I came across a pair of heavy, mahogany doors. Their smooth varnished wood glistened in the little light there was, adding an enchanting element to the dark reddish colour they are. With strength, I pushed open the door slightly giving me enough room to glance inside. It was glorious. Pillars like trees that went from floor to ceiling, a chandelier made of crystal raindrops hung in the centre of the room. Beautiful women dancing gracefully to the sound of violins. The aroma of freshly baked food filled the room with enough happiness to last for months. 

I opened the door further so I could have a slice of happiness for myself and then it faded away right in front of my eyes. In tears of sadness, I reached out to grasp the last bit of happiness for myself but it had gone. I now ask myself whether it would have been so bad if I had people to rule over. Whether I was meant to control the people on my land or whether I was just a guidance. I now hope that it is only my thoughts that will haunt me and nothing else.

Comments